Sunday, December 15, 2013

Coconut Water Kefir and Milk Kefir


Recently I had a go at making coconut water kefir. I used 3 heaped tablespoons of our spare water kefir grains in 1L of coconut water (just from a long life carton). The first time I tried it, I let it ferment for 24 hours. That ended up being way too long for our tastes.

The second time I made it, I let it ferment for about 14 hours (I was aiming for 12 but forgot about it!). It was probably still a bit too sour for us. I added a splash of apple concentrate and it wasn't too bad, a bit like those sour sweets that you can buy.

When I make it again I'll maybe only use 1 heaped tablespoon of kefir grains and ferment for 8 or so hours.

Both times the kefir grains did not like the coconut water at all. By the end of the process they were squishy and starting to break down so I ended up throwing them out. Only use your excess grains when experimenting!!

-----

I also recently decided to have a go at making milk kefir. I got some awesome milk kefir grains from Tumbletree and popped them in some fresh milk in a Fido jar. 24 hours later the milk looked exactly like I'd read it should, the grains had done their thing. Only... well, also as I'd read, milk kefir seems to be an acquired taste. We gave it several tries, including in a smoothie, but just couldn't get past that kind of off-milk taste. As we're not really into dairy, it didn't seem worth pursuing so we passed the grains on to a friend.

-----

On a side note, last month marked 1 year since we received our water kefir grains (again from Tumbletree) and they are still going strong!

No comments :

Post a Comment

"Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid."